Wisteria Wonderland in Positano

Last spring Rosa from the Bell’Avventura blog in Positano wrote a post filled with gorgeous photos of the wisteria season in Positano. I was smitten. Wisteria is one of my favorite spring flowers, and I love how the sweet scent fills the air this time of year. I just had to experience the beautiful wisteria in Positano for myself this year! I am thankful that Rosa reminded me to get over there early in April to see it, because it blooms significantly earlier there than in the area around Amalfi. Last Friday I woke up to a beautiful morning and knew it was my chance. Off to see the wisteria!

Ferry Boat to Positano

I took the earliest ferry to Positano from Amalfi and enjoyed watching the morning light along the coastline. Positano in the distance is always a beautiful sight! As the boat turns toward town, you can start to make out the tiled dome of the church of Santa Maria Assunta on the beach and the colorful houses stacked up the cliff side.

Positano from the Sea

After I arrived it didn’t take long to find the first wisteria climbing up the side of a restaurant near the beach. Not a bad start!

Wisteria in Positano

I followed the narrow streets lined with shops up toward the church, and came around a corner to find the trellis above the walkway covered with blooming wisteria. The sweet scent was intoxicating!

Wisteria in Positano

The campanile (bell tower) of the church peeked out between the purple blooms of wisteria. All around everyone stopped to stare at the incredible display of color.

Wisteria in Positano

I walked up and up into town and found more wisteria along the way. The air was filled with the sweet scent, and I think I could smell it before I came across another beautiful vine.

Wisteria in Positano

Wisteria in Positano

Wisteria in Positano

After a leisurely stroll through the wisteria wonderland, I stopped at a small food shop and bought a panini with proscuitto and artichokes and headed toward the beach. With lunch and my new Positano beach basket in tow, I headed to the beach for a couple hours of sun.

On the Beach in Positano

I found a sandy spot on the beach and spread out my pareo. The sand is always a treat and so much more comfortable compared to the big pebbles in Amalfi. The black sand was such a warm and welcome reminder that summer is just around the corner!

Sandy Beach in Positano

Time always passes too fast in Positano, and before long it was time to pack up and catch the ferry back to Amalfi. But I know I started a new tradition … and that I’ll be back again next spring to see the wisteria in Positano!

This entry was posted in Amalfi Coast, Beaches, Boats, Nature, Positano.

18 Comments

1. Michelle | Bleeding Espresso April 13, 2011 at 08:11 #

LOVE wisteria — one of my favorites ever since I visited my college, which has gardens and wisteria covering a gazebo. I bought seeds last year to plant some for myself and can’t find them. Boo!

• Scintilla April 13, 2011 at 10:32 #

@Michelle It’s worth buying the plant from the nursery as sometimes wisteria grown from seed won’t flower.
      @Laura I’m glad you made it in time. It’s magical isn’t it!

• Laura April 13, 2011 at 17:01 #

So very glad that I made it over this year! Like I said … a new spring tradition has been born. :-)

• Laura April 13, 2011 at 17:01 #

Hope you can get some wisteria growing in your garden soon, Michelle! :-)

2. nyc/caribbean ragazza April 13, 2011 at 12:26 #

Stunning photos!! I haven’t been back to Postiano in 5 years. I think a trip is in order.

• Laura April 13, 2011 at 17:02 #

Grazie! Hope you can make it down to Positano this year. It’s always lovely!

3. Anne April 13, 2011 at 14:45 #

Oh how beautiful! Have never been there in the spring…must go!

• Laura April 13, 2011 at 17:03 #

Ciao Anne! Positano is gorgeous in the springtime. Hope you’ll be able to visit and see for yourself soon! :-)

4. Eleonora April 13, 2011 at 23:11 #

Tee hee, can’t wait! That walk down Via dei Mulini, under a canopy of blooming wisteria is my earliest sensorial memory of Positano. The fragrance of the cascading petals zaps Positano to my frontal lobe.
    Hope it’ll still be like in your stunning photos when I head down there in… 7 days!! Woo hoo!!!

• Laura April 14, 2011 at 06:50 #

Ciao Eleonora! Wow … what a wonderful early sense memory. Growing up in Nebraska I had far less beautiful options, which is probably why I don’t have any early scent memories. Haha! Much of the wisteria I saw in Positano was still not quite at peak, so I hope it will still be pretty and smell so sweet when you are here next week!! Can’t wait to meet up! :-)

5. Andrew April 15, 2011 at 20:23 #

Wisteria is something I remember growing up with in the US. I don’t remember seeing it here in Germany so much, but it looks beautiful in Positano. The purple is such a contrast to the dark green of the trees.

• Laura April 17, 2011 at 15:23 #

Ciao Andrew! Thanks so much for stopping by and introducing me to your blog. I never saw wisteria much in America, expect in Washington, DC. I fell in love with it there … and was so happy to find it growing everywhere here in spring. I just wish it lasted longer! :-)

6. Celia Prosecchino April 18, 2011 at 15:16 #

My wisteria is out as well and it seems a bumper year for flowers. I agree it makes the heart leap into spring and feel summer is just around the corner.i love your feet on the sand. It makes feel the warmth between my toes!

• Laura April 19, 2011 at 08:03 #

Ciao Celia! We’re having a lovely spring down here, and the flowers are loving it. Summer is just around the corner! :-)

7. patty April 18, 2011 at 16:16 #

Laura, beautiful flowers, stunning photos as usual, thank you. Glad I stopped by. Happy Spring to you. Patty

• Laura April 19, 2011 at 08:01 #

Thank you, Patty! :-)

8. Margi April 24, 2011 at 10:54 #

Laura, Tonight was the first time I found your blog, and what a treat it is. Gorgeous pix, great info. Can’t wait to come to Italy. Margi

• Laura April 26, 2011 at 19:35 #

Ciao Margi! I’m so happy you stopped by my blog and left a comment to introduce yourself. Always a pleasure to meet new readers! Enjoy planning your trip to the Amalfi Coast!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Wisteria Blooming in Ravello « Ciao Amalfi! on April 25, 2011 at 14:01

[...] along the coastline, and I’ve been enjoying its sweet scent filling the air. While the wisteria in Positano peaked about two weeks ago, the cooler temperatures up in the mountains of Ravello means that the [...]

2. By Wisteria in Positano « Ciao Amalfi! on May 25, 2013 at 16:19

[...] bad just at the moment they were at their best. Two years ago I went and had fun discovering the Wisteria Wonderland in Positano. That time I had a picnic and soaked up the sun on the beach, but this time I sat and enjoyed a [...]