A Sunday Drive to Salerno

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Drive

Zooming along the Amalfi Coast curves looking toward Amalfi

The first sunny weekend on the Amalfi Coast and everyone … and I mean everyone … hits the road for a drive. When there’s only one road, that can be problematic. But with the Amalfi Coast road, it’s always best to pack a little extra patience … and your camera! Fortunately, there are the views and the sheer magnitude of this road carved out of the mountainside to keep one company. The colors in the springtime are a nice touch, too!

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Broom Bushes

Bright colors of spring along the Amalfi Coast Road

A couple of weeks ago we had a Sunday lunch invitation with family in Salerno, so we hit the road along with everyone else. The scooters and motorcycles were out in droves. After the rainy spring, I can’t blame them for wanting to enjoy a ride on a sunny Sunday. What a view!

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Drive Salerno

Around the curve toward Salerno!

Spring was in full bloom and the scent of wisteria and lemon blossoms filled the car with all the windows open. What a heavenly scent … I wished I could just roll up the windows and keep it inside. Looking at the photos brings back the memories of that warm, spicy scent and the sunshine on my arms.

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Wisteria Drive

The scent of wisteria wafting through the car

After passing Capo d’Orso, the Cape of the Bear named after a bear-shaped rock, the road climbs higher and twists and turns as it winds in and out of ravines in the mountains. Before long there’s a quick glimpse of the harbor at Cetara, which is an absolutely charming little fishing village.

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Cetara Salerno

Catching a glimpse of the port of Cetara

The road curves through Cetara just above the level of the rooftops of many of the houses and about eye level with the colorful majolica tiled dome of the church. If you’re driving along the Amalfi Coast road and have time, do stop off in Cetara and explore the village, enjoy lunch and the pretty beach.

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Cetara

The colorful majolica tile dome and rooftops of Cetara

One of the most captivating parts of the drive is just barely catching a glimpse of an incredible panorama and then a moment later it’s lost between the trees or around another curve. It’s one massive temptation … curve after curve!

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Vietri sul Mare Salerno

Beautiful Vietri sul Mare and Marina di Vietri beach

It took me quite a few attempts to get a clear shot of Vietri sul Mare, above, with its beach area called Marina di Vietri. The beach wasn’t packed like it is in the summers, but it was definitely a popular spot on this sunny Sunday. Around a few more curves and I tried to catch a clear shot of of Vietri sul Mare with the dome and bell tower of the Church of San Giovanni Battista. There it is … can you see it?

Ciao Amalfi Coast Travel Vietri sul Mare

The Church of San Giovanni Battista in Vietri sul Mare

The Amalfi Coast road never fails to impress me, with it’s intense beauty, crazy curves and views that make you want to drive it again and again. If you’re lucky enough to be the passenger … bring your camera!

This entry was posted in Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, Cetara, Costiera Amalfitana, Driving, Road Trip, Salerno, Vietri sul Mare.

12 Comments

1. Sandra May 5, 2013 at 17:28 #

I love that drive to Salerno..especially Vietri! A bit of that town lives in my heart!

• Laura May 6, 2013 at 09:30 #

Ciao Mom! I took those photos of Vietri sul Mare just for you! :-)

2. Roz May 6, 2013 at 01:15 #

Hello Laura,

I found your blog through LindyLouMac’s News From Italy blog that I’ve followed for years. What a wonderful post about a beautiful day on the Amalfi Coast. I was just there in October and even spoke briefly about it my post yesterday. I cannot imagine the aroma of the lemon blossoms; it must be so intoxicating!

So glad to have found your blog,
    Baci,
    Roz

• Laura May 6, 2013 at 09:34 #

Hi Roz,
      Thanks so much for stopping by and for your nice comment! I look forward to following your blog, too. Just added to Bloglovin! Hope your travels will bring you back soon to the Amalfi Coast!
      Warm wishes,
      Laura

3. Having made this trip a couple of times when visiting the Amalfi Coast, I just loved your photos and the memories they brought back. We also liked doing the trip by bus-boat, which gives you the view from the sea – a different angle of course, but also beautiful to see the towns strung along the coast.

We bought some cappuccino cups in the ceramics factory in Vietri sul Mare. One of the saucers broke, so I just have to come back to get another one ;)

• Laura May 12, 2013 at 17:02 #

Ciao Miss Footloose! Oh no … so sorry to hear about the saucer breaking for your cappuccino cups. Sounds like the perfect reason to come back to the Amalfi Coast! ;-)

4. margieinitaly May 7, 2013 at 19:01 #

Beautiful photos Laura of my favorite place in Italy! Good thing you went on Sunday and not yesterday with the 200 plus cyclists in the Giro d’Italia!

I have nominated your blog for The Sunshine Award!

• Laura May 12, 2013 at 17:02 #

Ciao Margie, Thank you so much for the sweet nomination for my blog! What a lovely surprise! :-)

5. Anita Chapman May 8, 2013 at 11:48 #

These photos are wonderful Laura! Thanks for allowing me to escape to the Amalfi Coast for a few minutes.

• Laura May 12, 2013 at 17:03 #

Ciao Anita! Always happy to share an Amalfi escape! :-)

6. Ciao Chow Linda May 21, 2013 at 12:37 #

Oh it’s been too long since I’ve been on the Amalfi Coast. Your photos have me yearning to be back.

• Laura May 21, 2013 at 16:48 #

Ciao Linda! Hope your travels will bring you back to the Amalfi Coast again soon. :-)