On the Road Home

Autumn drive to the Amalfi Coast

On the road from Naples to the Amalfi Coast

Earlier this week I arrived back home in Italy at Naples’ Capodichino airport, the closest airport to the Amalfi Coast. Anyone who has driven on the autostrada through Naples knows that the stress of  international travel is nothing compared to simply surviving the short drive from the airport to the exit for the Costiera Amalfitana. Jet lag does help to keep one calm though. I always breath a sigh of relief when we reach the exit at Angri, because I know that shortly the road will start winding its way slowly up the the mountains toward the Chiunzi pass leading to the Amalfi Coast. My fiancé said I was in for a surprise, because the autumn colors were still beautiful up in the mountains. Boy was he right!

Autumn drive on the Amalfi Coast

Autumn colors on the drive home

Around every curve in the road there was another beautiful view of the autumn colors up close or covering the mountainsides.

Autumn mountains Amalfi Coast

Autumn colors on the mountains near Naples

As we reached the top of the pass and started over toward Tramonti, the colors reached their peak. I didn’t get any good shots, but you can enjoy the colors from an autumn drive to Tramonti from a couple of years back.

Autumn on the Amalfi Coast Tramonti

Autumn in the mountains of the Amalfi Coast

I never expected to find such gorgeous colors still around Ravello and Scala at the end of November. It was really a joy not to have missed this splendid show!

Autumn in Ravello on the Amalfi Coast

Autumn colors around Ravello

Ravello in the autumn

Ravello surrounded by autumn's colors

Autumn colors on the Amalfi Coast

Autumn colors in Scala on the Amalfi Coast

While hauling (and occasionally dropping) my suitcases down the approximately 60 steps to the house, the gorgeous colors were much appreciated. After much experience with it, I can safely say that 50 pound plus suitcases and ancient stone staircases don’t go well toegther. I stopped often under this terrace of bright red grape vines. What a sight!

Autumn grape vines on the Amalfi Coast

A gorgeous sight while resting

While the autumn colors are more striking up in the mountains on the Amalfi Coast, I did find this stunning bit of color in Amalfi’s Piazza Duomo.

Autumn in Amalfi

Autumn reds near the Duomo of Amalfi

Ciao Amalfi!

This entry was posted in Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, Costiera Amalfitana, Driving, Naples, Ravello, Road Trip, Scala, Seasons, Tramonti.

17 Comments

1. LindyLouMac in Italy December 3, 2011 at 12:50 #

It has been a truly wonderful November in Italy this year. :)

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 08:57 #

Ciao Linda! It was also quite nice in Nebraska and Minnesota while I was traveling there in November, too. I’m glad that the beautiful November hung on long enough that I could enjoy a bit of here here as well. I heard that people were on the beach through most of November in Amalfi. Wow! :-)

2. Anne December 3, 2011 at 14:06 #

Hello Laura , you tell such fabulous stories and give us super photos. I can imagine you with your luggage, stopping to view the sights :-)thank you for sharing.

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 08:57 #

Thanks for your sweet message, Anne! :-)

3. Mat Martin December 3, 2011 at 15:18 #

Laura, having spent the better part of summer in Praiano, I remember what the hellish traffic was like. Your pictures suggest the road isn’t busy. What is the traffic like now, in December?

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 11:19 #

Ciao Mat! You’re right that the traffic can be pretty crazy on the Amalfi Coast during the summer, but I’ve gotten used to that over the years. It’s the autostrada that still scares me a bit! :-) During the winter months the traffic is much lighter on the Amalfi Coast.

4. Welshcakes Limoncello December 5, 2011 at 11:19 #

Breathtaking photos. Welcome home, Laura.

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 11:20 #

Thanks so much, Pat. It’s great to be home!

5. Lenora December 5, 2011 at 17:19 #

Thanks so much, Laura, for the awesome photos and post. I haven’t been to Amalfi for 6 years now, but I savor my time there. Must return!

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 11:21 #

Ciao Lenora! I do hope you’ll be back to Amalfi one day soon. It does pull one back! :-)

6. Andrea December 6, 2011 at 01:51 #

I did that drive not too long ago–from the airport in Naples to Amalfi over the mountains. I loved the views–although the road was challenging! Your pictures are great and they make me want to go back again soon!!

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 11:22 #

Ciao Andrea! You’re right about how gorgeous the views are coming to Amalfi via the Chiunzi pass, Tramonti and Ravello. Hope you’ll be back soon!

7. Amalfi coast December 6, 2011 at 09:01 #

Ciao Laura,

it’s Bruno and Frances (Lello’s friends), how are you, we just found out about your blog, nice! See you soon.

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 11:24 #

Ciao Frances & Bruno! So happy you’ve found my blog. Great to hear from you! See you soon around Amalfi or Atrani! :-)

8. Una December 6, 2011 at 19:44 #

Thanks for the beautiful photos Laura, we need cheering up here in Ireland with our very unpopular austerity budget being announced these past 2 days. Hope we can make Italy in 2012!!!

• Laura December 7, 2011 at 11:26 #

Always so nice to hear from you, Una! We got some big changes going on here in Italy these days, too. I hope you’ll be back in Atrani in 2012!! Sending you warm and sunny wishes from the Amalfi Coast! :-)

9. Una December 7, 2011 at 17:32 #