A Road Trip to IKEA Salerno

Ciao Amalfi Coast Blog Ikea Salerno 3

Last Friday morning we set off early for the hour and a half drive to the newly opened IKEA Salerno / Baronissi. There are currently 18 IKEA stores in Italy, one of the newest being the store that opened just outside Salerno at the end of February. With a big long list of items to furnish an apartment, I held my boyfriend’s hand as we walked in for his very first IKEA experience . . .

Ciao Amalfi Coast Blog Ikea Salerno 1

. . . and six hours later, two very tired people walked out. Two exhausted, but relieved, people who had found just about everything on that long shopping list. Thank goodness for IKEA! For those of you who have experienced IKEA, this store was just about like the others I have been to in Minnesota, Virginia and Maryland. The main difference was the kitchen section, which was much more elaborate here in Italy where furnishing a kitchen is more common than it is in America. The wall of oven doors stretching out in both directions is what really hit that difference home for me!

Ciao Amalfi Coast Blog Ikea Salerno 2

The IKEA Salerno is the second store to open in Campania. I remember once spotting the other store in Naples from the airplane as I was landing at Capodichino airport. Yes, it’s that big!

cattle_crossing_sign

One of the most memorable moments of the day was in the morning when I noticed a sign on the autostrada outside Salerno to watch for cows. “On the autostrada?” I asked my boyfriend, describing the sign. Given how Italians drive on the autostrada, the last thing needed would be cows wandering across the interstate. On the way home passing by the same area, we noticed an extremely steep hillside right next to the autostrada with cows precariously climbing up and grazing. “Wow, look at those cows all the way up there!” I said leaning forward to gaze up out of the front windshield. Suddenly, and at the same moment, we both realized that perhaps that yellow warming sign wasn’t at all about cows crossing the autostrada. “Watch out for falling cows!”  my boyfriend laughed as we zoomed by. Quite an end to quite a day!

This entry was posted in Campania, Driving, Road Trip.

13 Comments

1. Erin P March 22, 2010 at 17:47 #

Cool, and the big shopping bags look just the same as our Ikea here outside Philly. Isn't Ikea great!

2. Anne in Oxfordshire March 22, 2010 at 18:46 #

I haven't been to IKEA for a while, and certainly not with my husband. We always end up looking for each other! I always make sure he eats before he goes there or at least before we start looking around the shop. :-) Hungry men make Grumpy shoppers!!

3. Leanne in Italy March 22, 2010 at 22:17 #

I love Ikea. It can be a bit too much once you are inside as there are always SO many people…but you can't beat the prices and like you said everything is under the one roof!

4. Wanderlust Woman March 22, 2010 at 22:36 #

I've been waiting for this post – you two are too funny!

5. Stella March 23, 2010 at 04:04 #

ah, IKEA Italia! the kitchen in my old apartment in Florence was all IKEA, even with the little mosaic tiles on the walls above the countertops- oh how I miss it!

ps: love your blog! :)

6. Laura March 23, 2010 at 10:16 #

Ciao Erin! Everything really did look just the same as IKEAs in America. I had several moments where I thought that was where I was until I noticed the signs in Italian. Want to know something funny? I was speaking to my boyfriend in Italian while shopping (if I had spoken in Italian it would have taken us 12 hours instead of 6!), and several times I caught other shoppers just staring at me. I felt like I was in America, but the staring made me realize I certainly wasn't! It made me so self conscious to have people looking at me like I was bizarre for speaking English in a setting where it felt perfectly comfortable and natural for me to. Oh, well, at least we didn't get hit by any falling cows! :-)

Ciao Anne! My boyfriend forgot his cell phone in the car, so we had to stay extra close to not get separated! :-) We had to take a food break because Lello had been told he had to try the "polpette svedesi" – the Swedish meatballs! Hungry men do make grumpy shoppers. But I'm also the same!

Ciao Leanne! It was SO convenient to find everything under one roof, and the prices are great. But it is a bit overwhelming! I think I've got my IKEA fix for this year. :-)

Ciao Lisa! I put the falling cows story in there since I knew you would laught at it. I just have to laugh while driving here, otherwise I'll panic. Just a few minutes before that scene I had just yelled out to my boyfriend, "You're scaring me!!!" Ah, the joys of driving in Italy…

Ciao Stella! Many thanks for stopping by and introducing me to your blog. I look forward to following your journey at "dalle vite alle vigna"!

7. travelingsuep March 23, 2010 at 16:53 #

Falling cows omg… However,an Ikea in Salerno is fabulous.
    Last year a friend & I drove up from Scalea for a massive shop in Naples, giving us 6 hours travel time to our long day's shopping. This year we can go to Salerno and have more shopping time yeah.

8. Laura March 23, 2010 at 17:47 #

Ciao Sue! Wow, 6 hours for a shopping trip. That's dedication! :-) I'm glad this IKEA is a bit closer to home here for you. Have fun!

9. The Food Hunter March 23, 2010 at 22:19 #

My husband just asked me "where would we shop if we moved to Praiano" I can now tell him Ikea.

10. Lauréole March 24, 2010 at 08:16 #

In Ireland, there are only two Ikea stores. Until last summer, the only one was in Northern Ireland. Now there is one just on the outskirts of Dublin! We all love it!!!! and I'm very disappointed since there is none in Colorado where I am moving at the end of April :-( Love your blog!!!

11. Welshcakes Limoncello March 28, 2010 at 22:30 #

Sounds like a great trip! They do trips to the Naples IKEA from here and I've often been tempted. Award for you at my blog.

12. Kate casey July 13, 2012 at 22:40 #

How do you get your purchases to somewhere like Scalea.Will ikea deliver for an extra cost or do you have to hire a van ?

• Laura July 17, 2012 at 08:15 #

Hi Kate,
      Yes, IKEA will deliver to locations on the Amalfi Coast for a delivery fee. We haven’t done that yet, but I know several people who have. Sure helps when there are tons of stairs! :-)
      -Laura